A framework for enterprise development and entrepreneurship: a resource pack for bioscience lecturers and students
||Dr Zoe Dann
||Liverpool John Moores University
||Jeff Gaskell, Liverpool John Moores University
||June 2006 (some materials yet to be finalised)
This resource pack is a timed and scripted guide of mixed-media learning material designed to provide Bioscience students with opportunities to explore and develop the following:-
- Entrepreneurial self-awareness and team-working
- Ability to seek out and develop viable commercial opportunities in the Biosciences for employers or for themselves as individuals
- Business planning skills
- Presentation of a business idea to professional investors
Learning materials support a series of 12 x 2 hour sessions in the following process:
- Context setting: Introduction to the learning activities, provision of context including presentation of importance of new product and process development to the UK and world economies, applications of Biosciences, key Bioscience sector characteristics. Material includes video clips showing experiences of real life entrepreneurs.
- Formation of the learners into enterprise groups: Process of team selection and responsibility allocation within groups based on aptitude and interest. This is to encourage a sense of realism and competition for the opportunity to present their business proposal to a selection panel and become the outright winner.
- Stimulating creativity, creative thinking and idea generation: Through the use of creativity games and suggested specialist software.
- Business planning process: From the point of inspiration through to market launch applied to students’ business ideas. Emphasis is placed on issues relevant to the Bioscience sector.
- A competitive ‘Dragons Den’ style sales pitch: Plans are evaluated by peer group and (best) presented to a panel (of industrial specialists and entrepreneurs).
The pack is designed to be presented in a class/lecture room equipped with broadband/internet access and projection facilities and utilising the presentation timing guide. Each session is to be facilitated by experienced individuals with general business knowledge and an understanding of the bioscience sector.
Outcomes and downloads
The following preliminary materials are available for you to download:
Or you can download the complete resource pack (the six files listed above)
Accompanying video materials will be made available shortly.
We would be interested to know of your experiences of using these materials. If you download and make use of them, please email us to let us know. Also, if you download and modify any of the materials, we would encourage you to submit copies to us so we may include them here for the benefit of others.